Author Topic: I am wondering if new syntax file generator (GUI) can be done  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Arthur

• He who is ashamed of asking is afraid of learning.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
I am wondering if new syntax file generator (GUI) can be done
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:10:38 pm »
I am wondering if new syntax file generator (GUI) can be done?

I was trying to create a new syntax file for Falcon, but it appeared a lot more difficult than I thought  :P.

I think creating a GUI tool might help us with this much... or not?

Offline alex

• Developer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HippoEDIT
Re: I am wondering if new syntax file generator (GUI) can be done
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 11:54:28 pm »
Yes, maybe. But from another side this also very time consuming work for me..
And because creating of the syntax schema it rather unusual task for normal user, I think it does not cost the time. Better to spent it for something more needed for everybody. I really already thought about this, and also have evaluated idea of some generator that can convert synatax schema from other editors...

If you have questions - ask, I would try to improve FAQ instruction provided here or can check the schema if you would send it to me.

Offline Arthur

• He who is ashamed of asking is afraid of learning.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:05:07 am »
It is a good place to start, but does not have a comprehensive coverage on options/possibilities.
Well, perhaps I can contribute to the Syntax File Generator creation or the aforementioned converter?
Although, I am less optimistic about converting from other editors because it is unknown which one(s) is the most popular and perhaps this is the hardest way.
PS: Perhaps that can be another plugin/add-on??

Offline alex

• Developer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HippoEDIT
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 02:18:56 pm »
Yes, I meant that importing schema form another editor would be only as start point for further adoptions and enhancements. Normally you can load keywords, file patterns, comments definition, case sensitive flag and maybe a little bit more. But all power features of HippoEDIT as schema inheritance, embedding and defining of inclusion rules for styles are not supported... And you need this by yourself. The same for scopes, labels, specification properties and so on.

I agree that this should be done as a add-on, tool or plugin. Because this is mostly not needed.
And if I can get a help on this from you I would very grateful and would provide all possible support! I think the programming language for such tool is not important, because it does not require direct connection to HippoEDIT interfaces. If you have some ideas, write me we can discuss details. Or collect here first requirements and then we can decide what to do.

Thanks a lot for your wish to support ;) The help is really needed.

dru

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 03:32:35 am »
Is there still interest in this? I have a complete, exhaustive syntax definition file for batch files in TextPad that I wanted to migrate; the one in HE isn't complete. I am new to HE as of yesterday (GOTD). It does seem to me that a tool, add-on/plug-in or perhaps even macros would be better suited as the mechanism to convert from other formats. I would be happy to work with/help you in converting my two TextPad schemas.

Offline alex

• Developer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HippoEDIT
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 04:07:09 pm »
Hi dru,

yes, there is still interest in this, but probably it was "frozen" because hippoedit syntax definitions are more complex than by other editors (probably only FAR manager plugin colorer has similar complexity) and it is not trivial to write a tool/script to migrate syntax schema from other editor to hippoedit definition. You need to care about inheritance, containers etc.
But maybe this can be done in some most primitive way (only copy keywords) and than rest should be adjusted manually.
The plugin infrastructure is not available in 1.4x. Tool can be but probably better to have a script, that people can read and modify easy.
I do not have time to write some thing like this right now, but can help in consulting, verifying if somebody will help here.
Of course such work will cost free full license, if you already do no have one.

Best regards,
Alex.