Author Topic: HippoEDIT won't launch?  (Read 122 times)

Offline scunliffe

• View Profile
HippoEDIT won't launch?
« on: November 08, 2017, 03:59:33 pm »
I was using HippoEDIT, but after a large paste into a file, it won't re-launch.

I can see HippoEDIT.exe in my task manager as a process... but the GUI never launches.

Is there a temp file... or cache that I can flush? I'm guessing that it is trying to initialize with previous open files but is getting stuck.

I can re-install (and re-configure) if I have to, but I'm hoping that there is a "temp" file I can clear and just re-launch :-)

Offline alex

• Developer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HippoEDIT
Re: HippoEDIT won't launch?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 04:53:28 pm »
Hello Stephen,

I would expect, that after a crash, you will get a popup on start, asking you, if you want to restore open files or start empty workspace... But maybe the crash is not detected because it actually hangs...

Yes, you can go in %APPDATA%\HippoEDIT\workspaces and check in file default.hewsp in Files node and delete the file making troubles. Or, if you have pasted the content in "Untitled" file, you will find that file also aside, so you can delete it. It can be also clipboard content or undo history that is loading so long. It stored in the same directory by name *.heclip and *.heundo files. You will see if they are too big.

Please share with me what was a reason for hanging. It shall not be like that even in case the file is too big. Maybe this is fixable.

BR, Alex.

Offline scunliffe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 07:20:59 pm »
Thanks Alex!

I was pretty sure there was a folder/file for this, I just didn't know where. ;-) (and everything is working again now)

I'm attaching an image of that folder on my drive... I believe the default_Untitled.tag file is likely the last big paste (~15MB?)

I'm not expecting to normally need to edit files this size... I think this was a case of I just copy/pasted data from elsewhere not knowing how big it was.

I don't recall if the app actually crashed... or if I just closed the app (either unresponsive... or I just didn't need it)... all I know is that it didn't re-open.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:23:49 pm by scunliffe »

Offline alex

• Developer
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HippoEDIT
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 12:04:23 am »
Hi Stephen,

thanks for the info. 15Mbs is not big, and shall not lead to problems... But that one bigger than default limit for asynchronous loading (10mbs) and maybe it is a combination word wrap and async loading that leads to hanging. I remember I did some optimization here (but probably only for 2.0).

I have checked it with HE 2.0 and 20mbs untitled text file and it was working without problems. So, let us think it is fixed ;)

BR, Alex.