HippoEDIT Chinese Simpilifed Test

Started by samuel1991, November 13, 2009, 01:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samuel1991

Hi Alex, This is my first installer based HippoEDIT.

I have personally tested it only on Windows 7 X64 however, it might not work on all systems.

I would like you or Stefan to test it.

The installer contains 98 - ME, NT and X64 version.

PS: If testing the 98 - ME version, you will need to change the region locale settings to PR China (And reboot) and NT (Also X64) version can retain your native locale settings.

If this works perfectly, I might upload a Traditional Chinese in coming future.

Download at:

Link removed as on chinese page.

Corrected: Some "over localization" strings that caused HippoEDIT.config file contains other languages
                  Some display issue on Find/Replace dialog
                  Default X64 on 32 bit Windows (Hopefully)

Not corrected: Syntax files including color is not fixed at the moment.

Latest updates: (18 Nov 2009)
Corrected: Some bug reports description, Fixed on issue where the Start Menu links to English version (By checking if it is installed which will prompt to uninstall it before install this Chinese version)

Untested: Given the prevention of installation in Chinese HE if English is installed and there is a check to verify if a Chinese version is installed (Based on uninstallation registry string), there may be potential issue on future updates where one must uninstall it before such installation.

Added: Chinese Trad version

alex

Hi Samuel,

I have checked your version, as I can with my understanding of Chinese :)

Here is a lits of findings:

- Installation only in Chinese, and because probably NSIS installer is non Unicode...
- You need to set default language for Unicode programs to Chinese (requires restart) to see something. But this can influence other programs. 
  So I would suggest to add at least English to available languages of installer. Then it would easier to check it. Also taking into account, that Unicode and 64 bit versions of HE works also without these system settings.
- Resulting Start Group is mixed... I see uninstall in Chinese but when trying to start opens English Version
- Because of changed layout were rather difficult to install in correct configuration (but I do not know Chinese ;) ) . I see you have rewrote install script :)
- By default x64 version is selected on 32 bit XP (in installer)
- By default very few syntaxes were installed... But maybe this is by design
- Not everywhere translated (or works) : check title of the Tools->Options dialog. But maybe this is my bug. Also title of Search Favorite dialog is rectangles
- You have translated everything even syntax files - but all works :) this is good, so ids are not touched. But I think it was better ti keep here English names. Because it would be difficult to explain something (also see Stefan post on forum about syntax hierarchies etc) if syntax names are differ in different languages
- some problems in Find dialog (Replace in Files), that input prompt in Find What field jumps (size and text). Do not know is it because of the font or encoding...
  !!! Because find what field is moved on top of replace....! I found it :)
- Bug report text should not be translated - I should see description of bug in English. Otherwise it does not help...
- with default color scheme I do not see a text selection (at the end it was difficult to reproduce, because it is difficult ot me to which syntax scheme is selected becaus of the Chinese)
- Untitled is also encoded in rectangles...
- important: name of the application should not be changed, otherwise it would find no updates automatically (it is a key). But probably this works. Just have seen once in update history some strange application names..

Nevertheless GREAT job!
HippoEDIT team
[url="http://www.hippoedit.com/"]http://www.hippoedit.com/[/url]

samuel1991

Hi Alex, thank you for your feedback.

- Installation only in Chinese, and because probably NSIS installer is non Unicode...
The reason why the installer is provided on in chinese ANSI because

1) I don't know NSIS (I cant script in NSIS)

2) I used Inno Setup for that, and the Unicode version of Inno does not support Windows NT4

3) I combined all 3 versions into an installer is to avoid coding of If targetOS is X64 or not etc.

- Resulting Start Group is mixed... I see uninstall in Chinese but when trying to start opens English Version
Do you have English version installed? Also, this means that you have clicked on Uninstall (卸载) HippoEDIT and the uninstaller is in English?

- Because of changed layout were rather difficult to install in correct configuration (but I do not know Chinese Wink ) . I see you have rewrote install script Smiley
Yes -- Actually it works in this way.
I actually only show License Page (In Chinese), My information about such localization (Sorry for the ego) , and a message about few past problems I have seen (Custom Keyboard mapping's view button issue, a possibility of Hippoedit.config / settings.xml may be a cause when settings are not saved (Probably for the X64 version without using Administrator), If for some issues where open, create a new file which gives a black background, please reselect a colour scheme. -- I found that this may happen when one change ID from Default to Default1 (So it is not about Chinese) on colors_default.xml and when the previous setting of color scheme is Default) and the last bug is about X64 on Vista or above is recommended to run in Administrator until Version 1.5. Any others may use <http://forum.hippoedit.com/index.php?board=4.0> to report bugs.

After my installation message, Choose program (Installation) Directory which followed by components.

Basically it works in this way

Needed Components
    Install ANSI version (repeated twice, opps) -- In Windows 98 - ME only
    Install Unicode Version    --- Only for Windows NT4 & Above
          Install Unicode version
          Install X64 version

Optional Syntax Schemes
   Programming related
And which there are ABAP, Assembly (X86) , AutoLISP etc
In programming category, there is a sub category of Database programming
Therefore there are Clipper, VisualFox & SQL

Miscellaneous
There are Batch files, Bash, Binary, CMake, Resource Scripts etc

Web Development Syntax
There are CSS, CSS (MS) -- under subcategory of CSS, PHP, HTML etc

PS: 方案 means Syntax, therefore bascially you need to read front english words which explained everything
(Those only chinese names can be found above)

Now go to start group (Start Menu) where the below provides a "Do not create a Start Menu shortcut" option.

Follwed by
Additional Tasks: There are Desktop Icons (First 2) and Shell Integration (Last 3)

Add to Desktop icon, Add icon to Quick Launch, Set IE as default source viewer, Add "Send to" target, Add to Explorer Context Menu

Installation Progress and Finish

- By default very few syntaxes were installed... But maybe this is by design

There are several installation types:
Full Install
Minimal Install
Web Developer
Programmer
Custom

respectively.

The only difference os the syntaxes install. (Basically previously have mentioned to components meaning, where the components are given respectively.)

- Not everywhere translated (or works) : check title of the Tools->Options dialog. But maybe this is my bug. Also title of Search Favorite dialog is rectangles
I am not sure the Tools -> Options, in Chinese it shows 工具::选项 (Probably is  ::, the chinese symbol of ::) I would appericate if screenshot can be attached.

Regarding -In the search favourite dialog is rectangles, is that the Win 98 - ME version without PR China region settings? Otherwise, it is likely that a font problem.

Try: http://cid-b4eeb651afa0f231.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/STSONG.7z to download it, actually i just zip it and upload. I dunno if that is the way to install fonts, where typically chinese programs needs Simsun font (宋体)

- some problems in Find dialog (Replace in Files), that input prompt in Find What field jumps (size and text). Do not know is it because of the font or encoding...
 !!! Because find what field is moved on top of replace....! I found it :)

Not sure if you mean the scope is File or what (Cant remember where is the "Replace in Files" option, sorry)

PS: I think I found a problem where one Ctrl + F (Find Dialog) and cancel followed by Ctrl + H (Replace Dialog), then the first field, Find what has a problem.

It seemed that in Manage Favourites there when I attempted to add a favourite is also having problems (It does not add, therefore when search for something, there is no favourite directory).

- Bug report text should not be translated - I should see description of bug in English. Otherwise it does not help...

Make sense. Usually it is in which file?

- with default color scheme I do not see a text selection (at the end it was difficult to reproduce, because it is difficult ot me to which syntax scheme is selected becaus of the Chinese)

I think I got it, because if I change the Default into Default1, that also happens. (So that opened file's background is black right?) As previously mentioned, some times by selecting any color syntax works

PS: It seemed that it is problematic. I wanted to localize the Blue to 蓝色 etc, but why is this so? (As one just replace with the official syntax file will fix this issue

- Untitled is also encoded in rectangles...
Maybe font, encoding issue

- important: name of the application should not be changed, otherwise it would find no updates automatically (it is a key). But probably this works. Just have seen once in update history some strange application names..
I would appericiate if you could provide where the application name has change since I cant remember if I had change it to chinese names (Or was it the caps on the word HippoEDIT?)

-Last but not least, some of the syntax files are translated and few with default encoding are changed to chinese encoding. This is mainly I translated the word "Script" or "Default ..." I would take that into account due to the admin and other non Chinese users might not understand "默认文本" means what syntax where itis "Default Text" etc. Thanks a lot :)

alex

QuoteDo you have English version installed? Also, this means that you have clicked on Uninstall (卸载) HippoEDIT and the uninstaller is in English?
Yes. I have. No, uninstaller was in Chinese. Problem is that main application was in English.

QuoteYes -- Actually it works in this way.
I actually only show License Page ....
:) because of Inno setup used + changed layout + Chinese it is really difficult to people do not understanding Chinese to check installer. Also as I have mentioned, by default on 32 bit OS 64 bit version installed.
About problem with IDs. Yes it can happen. Because I buffer files between session and also current schema (color and keyboard). Because normally ids are not changed.

QuoteThere are several installation types:
Full Install
Minimal Install
Web Developer
Programmer
Custom
Ok, probably I have selected minimal by some chance...

Quote- Not everywhere translated (or works) : check title of the Tools->Options dialog. But maybe this is my bug. Also title of Search Favorite dialog is rectangles
I am not sure the Tools -> Options, in Chinese it shows 工具::选项 (Probably is  ::, the chinese symbol of  I would appericate if screenshot can be attached.
Sorry, now everything looks OK. The only difference is that before I have checked with regional settings - language for non-Unicode programs set to Chinese (Singapore), because of the installation, but now checking with language for non-Unicode programs set to Russian. And now works. And I have as East Asian language pack installed as Complex scripts.

I have tested HippoEDIT Unicode version on 32 bit English XP.

QuoteNot sure if you mean the scope is File or what (Cant remember where is the "Replace in Files" option, sorry)
PS: I think I found a problem where one Ctrl + F (Find Dialog) and cancel followed by Ctrl + H (Replace Dialog), then the first field, Find what has a problem.
Ctrl+F and then press Replace... button on bottom or directly Ctrl+H. Screenshot is attached. Find what field (first from top)  is moved on top of Replace To.

QuoteIt seemed that in Manage Favourites there when I attempted to add a favourite is also having problems (It does not add, therefore when search for something, there is no favourite directory).
Search Favorites stores only search and replace strings plus main flags. But maybe this can be extended. You can create separated topic for this in bug reports, and we can handle this separately.

Quote- Bug report text should not be translated - I should see description of bug in English. Otherwise it does not help...
Make sense. Usually it is in which file?
It should be in Hippoedit.exe

Quotewith default color scheme...
I think I got it, because if I change the Default into Default1, that also happens. (So that opened file's background is black right?) As previously mentioned, some times by selecting any color syntax works
PS: It seemed that it is problematic. I wanted to localize the Blue to 蓝色 etc, but why is this so? (As one just replace with the official syntax file will fix this issue
Yes, background is black, but changing color schema helps.
Maybe the problem here, that names in color maps is same as ids (id equal to displayed name), and maybe they are buffered. For some reason I have not seen a reason for introducing also id. But it should be no problem if official and your versions are not mixed.
But I can think about it.

Quote- Untitled is also encoded in rectangles...
Maybe font, encoding issue
Now also works Ok.

Quote- important: name of the application should not be changed, otherwise it would find no updates automatically (it is a key). But probably this works. Just have seen once in update history some strange application names..
I would appericiate if you could provide where the application name has change since I cant remember if I had change it to chinese names (Or was it the caps on the word HippoEDIT?)
I have not seen this in this version, but have seen some when in my update log on server. So, thought maybe this is yours version. But yes, this is a string you see in application title. Update Url is generated dynamically, so it is difficult to scan for it but here is strings which should not be changed (they are passed as parameters):
HippoEDIT, HippoEDIT(98,ME), HippoEDIT x64.

Quote-Last but not least, some of the syntax files are translated and few with default encoding are changed to chinese encoding. This is mainly I translated the word "Script" or "Default ..." I would take that into account due to the admin and other non Chinese users might not understand "默认文本" means what syntax where itis "Default Text" etc. Thanks a lot
Yes. Here can be also another small problem. Because syntax files are installed with installer and not changed people would think that they are official and default. So it would be more difficult to find some encoding recognition problems (for me)... But Ok as far as I see that this is your Chinese pack I will forward all messages to you :))

But Ok, as I mentioned, the work you have done is great (thanks a lot for your support), and as far as you fix bug with replace dialog, I can place link to your version in download area of th web site, when Chinese is selected as preferred language. 

Best regards,
Alex
HippoEDIT team

samuel1991

Thank u alex, the problems were all fixed (The screenshot given).

Regarding "Problem is that main application was in English. ", I think most likely is that it overwrites on the english version directory, which in fact, it dont. (If I didnt remember wrongly -- I might be wrong.) --- If the problem persist, kindly zip it to my hotmail.

Secondly, all the fixed installer are deleted and re-uploaded. However, the Skydrive uses the same link (And works) so, I will make a difference by updating the first post instead.

Thirdly, I probably would send you a few required files for this. (For bug description wise, how can I "create" a bug and crash for the sake of testing and unlocalized the bug description)

PS: I know that some keywords like File (文件) or Document (文档)are probably the ones you are mentioning. There are some similar words and problem is, there is no way my localization tool can tell which is bug description and which are used in the application (Not at least my skill allow)

Lastly,  I have not seen this in this version, but have seen some when in my update log on server. So, thought maybe this is yours version. But yes, this is a string you see in application title. Update Url is generated dynamically, so it is difficult to scan for it but here is strings which should not be changed (they are passed as parameters):
HippoEDIT, HippoEDIT(98,ME), HippoEDIT x64.

Well, I did changed the (98,ME) to (98,ME)

Notice that in Chinese, the puncatuation can be slightly different and there are M$ guidelines for that. (But I didnt learn that very well) :(

Some other examples include ? ? , !!,:: where the first one is in Chinese.

alex

QuoteRegarding "Problem is that main application was in English. ", I think most likely is that it overwrites on the english version directory, which in fact, it dont. (If I didnt remember wrongly -- I might be wrong.) --- If the problem persist, kindly zip it to my hotmail.
The problem, I think, is not in the installation directory, but in Start Menu Group. You are installing into All Users directory, while standard installation does it in user directory. So at the end you have two Start menu group entries, that merged by Window in one. And because official installation done in user directory, it has priority over yours, if link names are same.

QuoteSecondly, all the fixed installer are deleted and re-uploaded. However, the Skydrive uses the same link (And works) so, I will make a difference by updating the first post instead.
I have downloaded updated version. Problem with Find what field is fixed.

QuoteThirdly, I probably would send you a few required files for this. (For bug description wise, how can I "create" a bug and crash for the sake of testing and unlocalized the bug description)
You can check bug report text by calling Help->Bug report... command from main menu.
CrashReport.exe (shown after crash) can be localized, but it should be clear that crash comments expected in English.

Here is some extract from code which can help:

CString sSubject = _T("BUG REPORT : ");
sMessage +=  sVersion + DumpSystemInfomation() + _T("\n\n");
sMessage += _T("Please write a short error description below in English. Please note that any bug reports without a description will be ignored.\n");
sMessage += _T("Instructions to reproduce error:\n\n");
sMessage += _T("If the error occurs in a specific file then please add it (or an example) as an attachment.");
SendEmailShell(GetSafeHwnd(), _T("supportbox@hippoedit.com"), _T("HippoEDIT Support"), sSubject, sMessage, NULL);

QuoteWell, I did changed the (98,ME) to (98,ME)
I can try to handle it on server, but better to keep this stable.

QuoteNotice that in Chinese, the puncatuation can be slightly different and there are M$ guidelines for that. (But I didnt learn that very well)
Some other examples include ? ? , !!,:: where the first one is in Chinese.
Ah.. Ok. Now I also see deference in punctuation symbols here: (98,ME).
Worst case, update would not be found. But any way better to keep this stable.

So, would you like to have link to your version from download page? (I will mention that this version is not official, and users install it on their own risk).

Best regards,
Alex.
HippoEDIT team

samuel1991

Thanks Alex, I suspose I will upload the corrected file again soon. (I will put it on first post)

Bascially this is what I intended:

1: To reset those bug description and on the help menu -> Bug reports, I will put a bracket to notify English only

2: To kindly request you to test out if the 64 bit version is selected by default despite only a 32 bit XP.

3: To implement a check function that if some registry value present (Either from my installer or HE English official), it will simply show a message and exit.

After all these had done and worked, I would like to have a link to download page. Thanks again :)

The syntax files might be harder to reimplement because users probably want it in the native language, well i suppose if there is any related stuffs, I can translate that (And if time does not permit, I may ask someone in the forum, hopefully to do this job)

alex

Hi Samuel,

2) I have retested latest installer from your on XP 32 bit and XP x64 (did clean install):
   - on XP 32, x64 radio button in selection was disabled. And first entry was selected (with NT4 inside the text)
   - on XP  x64, x64 version was preselected and enabled.
3) This  I have not understood...

With translated syntax files, I will forward users to forum where you can serve them natively ;)

Best  regards,
Alex.
HippoEDIT team

samuel1991

Hi alex:

2) Thanks a lot, I suppose it finally works.

3) I actually meant by if one had installed HippoEDIT previously, they will need to uninstall that before installing the chinese. This is to prevent the Start Menu issue.