Author Topic: Lock Tab / ReUse Tab / Open all files read only  (Read 7910 times)

Offline Stefan

• Administrator
Lock Tab / ReUse Tab / Open all files read only
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:32:53 PM »
I think we talked already about this but i don't remember where and when.

Idea:

I use HippoEDIT with File Explorer and Find in Files as snippet repository.

But when i view many files i get many open tab which i have to close after i am finished.

I like to suggest an Tab-Lock feature.
Best by right clicking on an tab i want to select "Lock" and then this tab is reused for all files i open till i disable "Lock" again.

Other then "Lock" the tab should work normal and f.ex. ask to save if i have modified something.

But an additional feature would be an option like "Lock and open all files in r/o mode"

This "Lock" feature is know from file managers and very handy.
Stefan, HippoEDIT beta tester 
HippoEDIT - the editor programmers wants to code thyself when they are dreaming.        -Don't just edit. HippoEDIT!-

Offline alex

• Developer
  • Global Moderator
    • HippoEDIT
Re: Lock Tab / ReUse Tab / Open all files read only
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:40:26 AM »
Yes, definitely something like this or similar was discussed ;)
I can accept the request, because I see an use case (and this is already second user requesting this ;) ), but not really sure, how useful it can be...
Should not be too much effort (new visualization for tabs, plus functionality itself), but any way can come only after 1.50. And I also do not feel it very exciting to inspire myself. Exist some more excited ideas :)

Also, as far as I remember, in others editors (maybe in emeditor) this feature Lock Tab has different functionality... And you can lock more than one tab normally.
Can you point to the example implementation I can refer?

Other then "Lock" the tab should work normal and f.ex. ask to save if i have modified something.
This should be done always, if document is modified, independently from the tab type.

But an additional feature would be an option like "Lock and open all files in r/o mode"

Do not go German standard way - over-engineering of everything ( I know what I say, because have an real example in-front of my eyes for already 10 years :)) )

went to todo

Offline Alain

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 12:14:49 PM »
Good idea : ReUse Tab

for opening all file in the same Tab
BUT il you make a modification in the file display, then   the "ReUse Tab" stop for another new ReUse Tab

or file only automatically
but I prefer the first solution

Alain

Offline alex

• Developer
  • Global Moderator
    • HippoEDIT
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 01:56:05 PM »
Yes, maybe such re-use feature will be better (and easier to implement) than Lock-Tab. I also now it from VS, where it called "Reuse current document window if saved". And maybe if the flag will be available also in menu (in addition to settings) it will solve use case which has Stefan.

Stefa, what do you think?

Offline Stefan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 05:14:58 PM »
I think i don't understand Alain' words and what is your question.

"Re-Use the current tab for all next open file" is all i want (i think  ??? )

That's what i called "Lock the Tab" to reuse for all files to open  next.
It seams you understood some other behavior from my first description?

I try again:

* i have one or more tabs open, one is the current active tab.
* i want to "look" this tab to "re-use" it for the next documents i will open.
My use would be to use the File Explorer to browse for an folder with some files to read (or modify)
where i open one file after the other, but didn't want to open an new tab for each new file - i want just re-use the current active tab.

Now i get the idea to make that not tab-wise, like "Lock THIS tab",
but just editor-wide like "Lock the current active tab, no matter which is current active".
But the first i find better to not re-use the wrong tab and make it more clear.

Also some kind of indicator for an locked tab would be nice, maybe an different bgcolor like for r/o?

If you want to implement it it would be an good idea to post "how" you want to implement it so we can clarify misinterpretations.

Offline alex

• Developer
  • Global Moderator
    • HippoEDIT
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 06:09:53 PM »
the function is to have editor wide flag to open new files in current tab, if it is not modified.
If it is modified, open new one.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zainnab/archive/2010/03/10/reuse-the-same-editor-window-when-opening-files-vstipedit0027.aspx

this is much easy to implement, solves your problem, and do not introduce new states to tabs.
I do not think that it is necessary to mark such tabs. This is just different editors behavior.
Why you need to lock NOT current tab?

Offline Alain

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 07:25:07 PM »

the function is to have editor wide flag to open new files in current tab, if it is not modified.

YESsssss

Alain

Offline Stefan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 08:44:54 PM »
A> the function is to have editor wide flag to open new files in current tab, if it is not modified.
A> If it is modified, open new one.
This feature described in that link does NOT sounds good to me  ???

1 - i think it is good to have the option to enable/disable such feature quickly by hand,
not behind several clicks deep in an menu. That's why i suggested to put this in the tab context menu.
But f.ex. "File > Re-Use tab" right under "Read-only" would also fit.
I don't want to use this feature every day. Only if i just need it. So i suggest an easy way to enable/disable it.
So the tab ctx menu would be logically for me for tab-own features. (Forget my "File"-menu suggestion, it's not an file-feature)

2 - i prefer tab-wise to have only one tab with that special feature,
because i doesn't want to re-use an tab with an document i still need open only if that tab
was by any change the current one, and later on i wonder where my file is which tab was re-used.
And for file managers it's tab-wise feature too.
And i doesn't need that for all open tabs.
I had to take always care to have the right tab the active one for the next file to open.

A> I do not think that it is necessary to mark such tabs. This is just different editors behavior.
Only if you would implement the case (2), then i would suggest an different back ground color or such to identify that special tab.

3 - the feature of VS works only if the current tab is not dirty.
But the opened document may be dirty, because i did some modifying before i copy an piece of text, but does not want to save this.
Or i add a few line breaks for better understanding. Or i press the space bar by accident.
So i had to close the tab at my own before i open next document, or i get an another tab. That's not what i imagine.
I always expect to re-use the same tab and not to open even more tabs.

I think point 2 and 3 are no-go's. Sorry, it's just my POV. It's how i think i would use this feature.
But you must know how much work this is to implement.
And i will gladly sleep over and rethink if the VS way will fit my needs too. (well - i does surly, but with bad side effects)

A> Why you need to lock NOT current tab?
What you mean please?
"Just the current, no matter which" as opposite to "chose an specific tab and use this only for every file"?
"lock NOT current tab" but "ONE specific only"?
If i guessed you right, then i have explain it just above. If not please clarify, thanks  :)

Offline Alain

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 09:09:39 PM »
Hi,

1) Context Tab menu with "ReUse" the Tab
2) different back Color if "in ReUse" will be perfect

3) new Tab, IF content inside  is modified
4)  this new tab is standard...
5) the last Tab become "standard"

6) if you want another "ReUse" of this Tab , you must ask with the menu

What about that ?
Alain

Offline Alain

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 09:35:01 PM »
Hi again

7) and if one Tab is in "ReUse"
    the tab menu don't ask for the "ReUse" choice
    (choice only for standard Tab, just once)

because Stephan write

Alain

Offline alex

• Developer
  • Global Moderator
    • HippoEDIT
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 11:20:08 PM »
Hi,

please provide an example implementation - if not an editor, than file browser you mentioned.

I do not want to invent new way, if it is already exist, and used by other software (I mean VS).
Only if I see strong use case. I want to keep HE simple.

Using of the special background color - bad idea. This new background color have nothing to do with syntax, with file state, will conflict with existing background colors and is not visible if tab is not active.

You need to "explain to user" that such LOCKED tab can be only one. Explain in UI.
New feature should be transparent to user, without reading docu, and not only known by requester or developer.
I know, there are a lot of not transparent features already in HE, but I will try to not increase them.

BR, Alex.

P.S: Stefan, just disable "allow multiple instances", associate double click for file with opening in viewer mode of HE ("viewer" workspace), and open files from your file browser, having only one instance with replaced current file.

Offline Stefan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 11:25:29 PM »
Tomorrow more, OK?  :) Good night.

Offline alex

• Developer
  • Global Moderator
    • HippoEDIT
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 11:41:42 PM »
Good night not for me :)

Just want to add: I am not against of any new feature :) . I would like to finish 1.50 stuff, so I do not really have time for implementing new requests.
Only if they are small, I can ad them. And also here is my priorities I follow in feature selecting (from highest to lowest priority):

- it is a bug fix
- it is a usability improvement for current feature
- it is for text editor itself (not for GUI around)
- it is simple to implement, but brings significant benefits
- it is not a new entity (not some new concept/way but reuse of existing)
- it is a basic functionality, which can be used to extend or build other features
- it suits good into current architecture (basically it is same as easy to implement and basic feature)
- a lot of people request it / it brings new customers
- it is a documentation :)
- it is an promotion work :)

And also very important: I like the feature :) It is maybe on place 3-4.

Offline Alain

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 01:50:53 AM »
for exemple

When you want use the same "Tabed page" you begin by click on  "ReUse" button display in the context menu of the choosen tab page.
In this menu, it's just one choice more than actual context menu of HE

then
the color name of the tab change (or the back color) as you have actually when file is "modified" (it's become red) in the standard HE
the name become "dark blue" for exemple. NOT the color of the window/page, just the color of the name in the tab

After
You click on another file in the file explorer of HE and this new file replace the first one in the tabed window
(actually HE open a new tab) and so ans so...

Now
you change anything in this tabed window stamped "ReUse" also the name of the tab become red (actually standard of HE)

AND just after you choose a new file in the explorer window of HE...

You cannot use the same tabed page (modified) and red named (see before)
then HE open a new tabed page as usually (standard of HE)

6) if you want another "ReUse" of this Tab , you must ask with the context menu
return to level 1

because Stephan write

7) if you have one tabed page marked "ReUse" (for exemple name in dark blue)
then this option is disabled in the context menu of all other tab

This is just the circular description :

Have a good day
Alain

Offline Stefan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 08:36:14 AM »
Alex> And also very important: I like the feature
And that counts double.

I didn't had time to think over. So just an quick update here.

Alex> please provide an example implementation - if not an editor, than file browser you mentioned.
Please find an picture of two file managers attached.
I think i don't know of any editor with this feature. That's why i look for age for an good portable SnippetManager. (or use TC with Ctrl+Q)

A> Using of the special background color - bad idea.
Agreed ;-) .  Counterproductive for code highlighting.

A> You need to "explain to user" that such LOCKED tab can be only one. Explain in UI.
It would be enough if this feature would be greyed-out if it is currently used. And it would be explained into the tool tip.

A> New feature should be transparent to user, without reading docu, and not only known by requester or developer.
Full ack., of course. That's my credo too.

Reuse tab for next file. [Lock this tab and reuse it for the next file. Only one tab can be locked.]

A> P.S: Stefan, just disable "allow multiple instances",
A> associate double click for file with opening in viewer mode of HE ("viewer" workspace),
A> and open files from your file browser, having only one instance with replaced current file.
I have to test this, but with "associate" you mean system-wide? Then i would open all files in Viewer? And this is not portable.