NoteTab Pro vs HippoEDIT

Started by StewCam, February 18, 2011, 03:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StewCam

Sorry, when I mentioned NotePad Pro I in fact meant NoteTab Pro! Some of the interesting features I referred to include:

• outline documents - when loaded a headings list is shown on the left and contents on the right

• very mature scripting language

• ability to indent/unindent column selection by a single character at a time

alex

Quoteoutline documents - when loaded a headings list is shown on the left and contents on the right
this otl files (outline) seems to me as proprietary document format, features of which can be covered by chm for example. What is good in it?
Text editor is not a browser. If you want something like this why not to use html and normal browser?

Quotevery mature scripting language
yes, scripting here is very powerful. Some when, when I checked NoteTab first time, I have noticed this feature as most strongest point. The only bad thing, it is once more proprietary - people need first learn it and only after use. In HE 1.50 will be used Active Scripting which can allow generally usage of any scripting language. In particularly Java Script and VB script will be allowed by default. For the rest user need to install additional script engine.

Quoteability to indent/unindent column selection by a single character at a time
what is special here? that it can do this not by tab size but by one character (HE also can indent/unindent column/block selection in any place but by tab positions)
HippoEDIT team
[url="http://www.hippoedit.com/"]http://www.hippoedit.com/[/url]

Stefan

For me the advantage from NoteTab is

1. the side bar with an list of commands or snippets or auto-expanding abbreviations.
Very easy to select, modify and use.
Much more nifty then an entry in the menu bar, because you see all and can use several commands without spending to much time .

2. there can be more then one command in one single library.
An command is an single action or an complex script.

3. you can just copy an new library to the folder or modify an script or command and it is immediately accessible to use.

4. with this script language you can create own dialogs with more then one edit control and checkbox and like that (added screenshot no. 2)

In the screenshot No. 1 you can see
a. the open pull-down menu to chose an script-library from to see and use the commands from that lib
b. behind the pull-down menu you see the commands of one library 'ReFormat'
c. on the left you see the syntax of an script (you can modify, save and use in no time)

In the screenshot No. 2 you can see
several dialogs created by script syntax.
Paragraph:
^!SetScreenUpdate Off
^!Set %SpaceFore%=^?{Spaces before text=5}; %Width%=^?{Column width of paragraph (Script considers spaces before)=68};
%Justify%=^?{Justify==Yes^=True|_No^=False}

Template Wizard:
New Web page
^!Open ^$GetTemplatePath$HTML.tpl   --> includes an second file of code

If in Line...:
^!Set %Find%=^?{Find what=^&}; %Action%=^?{Do what==Copy|Cut};
%Show%=^?{Output type==Information box^=1|New document|None^=}; %Clipboard%=^?{Put on Clipboard==_Yes|No}
^!SetWordWrap Off

Replace:
^!Set %Find%=^?{Find what=^%Data%}; %Replace%=^?{Replace with what=^%Data%};
%Options%=^?{(T=A;H=10)Search options=Do not search for whole words^=T|Search for whole words only
^=C|_Ignore character case
^=I|Search backwards^=B|Search through all the open documents^=G|_Search through the whole
Stefan, HippoEDIT beta tester 
HippoEDIT - the editor programmers wants to code thyself when they are dreaming.        -Don't just edit. HippoEDIT!-

alex

Hi Stefan,

thanks for the suggestions!

I am not against of clips list (or what ever) if they done as plugins (and now it is possible with 1.50), but just delay this, because want to finish existing 1.50 "Baustellen" ;) We can discuss it as far as 1.50 will be in some productive state. Than I can go further with some new plug-ins.

The second example with dialog templates are even more useful now, because I am working on scripting now and this kind of functionality still missing (of course there are alert, prompt and conform but they are not enough)  and I need good example for building dialog primitives. Would not go too far: if something sophisticated needed - it should be a plug-in. So I will check the description way for HE scripting.

BR, Alex
HippoEDIT team
[url="http://www.hippoedit.com/"]http://www.hippoedit.com/[/url]