Author Topic: Horizontal scrolling too slow when selecting long lines of text.  (Read 3111 times)

lashtal

Horizontal scrolling too slow when selecting long lines of text.
« on: September 28, 2009, 07:50:07 AM »
Well, the title says it all  :)

Recently I had to edit a number of mysqldump-generated files, so they do contain long lines, you know.. So when I tried to select some part of the line, it took about 10secs or more since it selects at a rate of ~1 char/300msec.

The devs are probably busy working on more important things, but fixing this would improve usability a lot.. for me at least.

I guess it's not designed to work like that so I hope its right thread to post in.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 07:51:56 AM by lashtal »

Offline alex

• Developer
  • Global Moderator
    • HippoEDIT
Re: Horizontal scrolling too slow when selecting long lines of text.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:26:13 AM »
Hi lashtal,

welcome on forum.

Yes, this is rather slow, I can check that. but I need more data. Would be good to know/have:
- version of the editor you are using
- syntax was used
- sample data (file, or line, or just sample line that can demonstrate that)
- line length (if no sample data)
- word wrapping was used?

If possible please send sample to supportbox at hippoedit com. Better with Help -> Report Bug, than I see also your configuration.

Best regards,
Alex.

lashtal

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 06:56:50 PM »
Sorry for not being able to reply earlier..

here, direct link to the video explaining the problem.. [1mb]
As you can see if you need to select a long portion of a line, it might take quite a while.
I think it does not depend on syntax or line length (line length should be wider than the window, obviously :), thus, no word wrapping.).
In other text editors this works a lot faster. Besides, cursor distance usually allows to control the speed of selection.

Hippoedit v.1.46.723x64, vista x64.

Offline alex

• Developer
  • Global Moderator
    • HippoEDIT
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 02:40:45 PM »
Ok!....

Now it is clear. Thanks a lot for video. Yes I am agree that this should be fixed. Normally I use Shift selects from keyboard, so never noticed.
I would fix this with next 1.47 beta (it would be released probably in one week, I have problems with build machine and should delay release of the beta which I planned for this week).

BTW: waiting for your response, I have fixed already another performance bug, for VERY (megs) lines with same style. It was rather slow to select or move cursor at then end of such lines. Described example some time occurs in SQL when some dump or what ever is embedded. And this was a reason for my question about syntax, length and WW.

Best regards,
Alex.