Main Menu

Install syntax schemes

Started by kAlvaro, July 24, 2011, 11:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kAlvaro

How do you install downloaded syntax schemes? I've browsed the program help, the web site and the forum and I couldn't find any reference to it. Perhaps it's so obvious that it doesn't need explanation but I can't figure it out.

Thank you in advance.

Stefan

Quote from: kAlvaro on July 24, 2011, 11:59:03 PM
How do you install downloaded syntax schemes?

Hi kAlvaro, welcome to the community.

Please let me explain more precise, even if you already know this, just in case others need more help on this topic.

How to install syntax highlighting bundles for different programming languages.

You don't have to "install" this files, just copy the *.XML files to your data\syntax folder.

First, if you not already know, go to HippoEDIT help menu and open "About HippoEDIT",
there you can see where your "Syntax"- folder is located, this folder is inside the "Settings folder".

(BTW: HippoEDIT stores configuration in different files. All paths are at default relative to HippoEDIT user directory.
Location of the HippoEDIT user data directory depends on installation type you have selected: for portable it equals to installation directory,
if installed for current user only it should be in %AppData%\HippoEDIT, or if installed for all users it should be in All Users\Application Data\HippoEDIT.)

Then point your browser to http://www.hippoedit.com/syntax_files.php?lang=en

There are two ways to use the files from the download side, depending if you
just download the XML-files one-by one, or the whole zip archive (the "bundle").

Way 1:
If you click at an 'Syntax Name' then an new page will be open
where you can right click the single files and choose "Save Target as..."
Save this files to the "Syntax" -folder inside your "Settings folder", e.g.  "....\HippoEDIT\Data\Syntax\".

Way 2:
If you chose to download the ZIP archive by clicking at the "arrow" icon
then save this archive to an folder which you will find later again.

Use the WindowsTM own build-in ZIP support (or an third party tool) to unpack this archive.
Please note that this archive may already contain the sub-folders "data\syntax".
Go inside this folders and copy the files to your "Syntax" folder inside your "Settings folder", e.g.  "....\HippoEDIT\Data\Syntax\".

No matter which way you have choosen, close and reopen HippoEDIT to see the new added syntax files under menu "View > Syntax".

HTH?  ;)

This thread will be moved to FAQ section later the week.
Stefan, HippoEDIT beta tester 
HippoEDIT - the editor programmers wants to code thyself when they are dreaming.        -Don't just edit. HippoEDIT!-

kAlvaro

Thank you very much. The missing bit was the user settings folder.

alex

Stefan, thanks for the help here and good explanation.
I thought, there was an explanation on syntaxes download page... But I was not able to find it.
I will update the information in library with details how to install bundle. Done.
HippoEDIT team
[url="http://www.hippoedit.com/"]http://www.hippoedit.com/[/url]